Diabetes Mellitus; Maternal Health Services; Maternal-Child Health Centers; Obesity; Pregnancy; Prenatal Care; Global Health; Samoa; American Samoa
My research focuses broadly on: (1) understanding how maternal and child health are impacted by rising levels of obesity and diabetes in developing countries, (2) determining how the delivery of healthcare impacts the identification and treatment of these diseases during the perinatal period, and (3) developing interventions focused on pregnancy and early infancy to prevent the intergenerational transmission of chronic disease. I have ongoing projects and collaborations in American Samoa, Samoa, South Africa, and the US
Specialized Terms: global non-communicable disease, obesity, diabetes, maternal and child health, pregnancy health, infant feeding, prenatal care
- Gestational weight gain among American Samoan women and its impact on delivery and infant outcomes.
Hawley NL, Johnson W, Hart CN, Triche EW, Ah Ching J, Muasau-Howard B, McGarvey ST. Gestational weight gain among American Samoan women and its impact on delivery and infant outcomes. BMC Pregnancy And Childbirth 2015, 15:10. 2015
- Obesity and diabetes in Pacific Islanders: the current burden and the need for urgent action.
Hawley NL, McGarvey ST. Obesity and diabetes in Pacific Islanders: the current burden and the need for urgent action. Current Diabetes Reports 2015, 15:29. 2015
- Mothers’ attitudes and beliefs about infant feeding highlight barriers to exclusive breastfeeding in American Samoa.
Hawley NL, Rosen RK, Strait EA, Raffucci G, Holmdahl I, Freeman JR, Muasau-Howard BT, McGarvey ST. Mothers’ attitudes and beliefs about infant feeding highlight barriers to exclusive breastfeeding in American Samoa. Women And Birth : Journal Of The Australian College Of Midwives 2015, 28:e80-6. 2015
- Prevalence of adiposity and associated cardiometabolic risk factors in the Samoan genome-wide association study.
Hawley NL, Minster RL, Weeks DE, Viali S, Reupena MS, Sun G, Cheng H, Deka R, Mcgarvey ST. Prevalence of adiposity and associated cardiometabolic risk factors in the Samoan genome-wide association study. American Journal Of Human Biology : The Official Journal Of The Human Biology Council 2014, 26:491-501. 2014
- The contribution of feeding mode to obesogenic growth trajectories in American Samoan infants.
Hawley NL, Johnson W, Nu’usolia O, McGarvey ST. The contribution of feeding mode to obesogenic growth trajectories in American Samoan infants. Pediatric Obesity 2014, 9:e1-e13. 2014
- Barriers to adequate prenatal care utilization in American Samoa.
Hawley NL, Brown C, Nu’usolia O, Ah-Ching J, Muasau-Howard B, McGarvey ST. Barriers to adequate prenatal care utilization in American Samoa. Maternal And Child Health Journal 2014, 18:2284-92. 2014
FULL LIST OF PUBMED PUBLICATIONS
- Ayers BL, Shreve MD, Scott AL, Seaton VA, Johnson KV, Hawley NL, Rowland B, Moore R, McElfish PA: Social and economic influences on infant and child feeding practices in a Marshallese community. Public Health Nutr. 2019 Feb 22; 2019 Feb 22. PMID: 30793680
- Strodel RJ, Chang CH, Khurana SG, Camp AW, Magenheimer EA, Hawley NL: Increased Awareness, Unchanged Behavior: Prediabetes Diagnosis in a Low-Income, Minority Population. Diabetes Educ. 2019 Feb 1; 2019 Feb 1. PMID: 30704368
- Chang C, Khurana S, Strodel R, Camp A, Magenheimer E, Hawley N: Perceived Barriers to Physical Activity Among Low-Income Latina Women at Risk for Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Educ. 2018 Oct; 2018 Jul 17. PMID: 30014770
- Galvao R, Hawley NL, da Silva CS, Silveira MF: How obstetricians and pregnant women decide mode of birth in light of a recent regulation in Brazil. Women Birth. 2018 Oct; 2017 Dec 8. PMID: 29229514
- Ayers BL, Hawley NL, Purvis RS, Moore SJ, McElfish PA: Providers’ perspectives of barriers experienced in maternal health care among Marshallese women. Women Birth. 2018 Oct; 2017 Nov 7. PMID: 29126795
- Ayers BL, Purvis RS, Bing WI, Rubon-Chutaro J, Hawley NL, Delafield R, Adams IK, McElfish PA: Structural and Socio-cultural Barriers to Prenatal Care in a US Marshallese Community. Matern Child Health J. 2018 Jul. PMID: 29470813
- Choy CC, Thompson AA, Soti-Ulberg C, Naseri T, Reupena MS, Duckham RL, Hawley NL: Nutrient intake among Samoan children aged 2-4 years in 2015. Ann Hum Biol. 2018 May. PMID: 29877157
- Hawley NL, McGarvey ST: Human biology of the Pacific. Ann Hum Biol. 2018 May. PMID: 29877156
- Choy CC, Wang D, Baylin A, Soti-Ulberg C, Naseri T, Reupena MS, Thompson AA, Duckham RL, Hawley NL: Dietary patterns are associated with child, maternal and household-level characteristics and overweight/obesity among young Samoan children. Public Health Nutr. 2018 May; 2018 Jan 24. PMID: 29362013
- Zhang J, Li X, Hawley N, Zheng Z, Zou Z, Tan L, Chen Q, Shi H, Zhao H, Zhang Z: Trends in the Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity among Chinese School-Age Children and Adolescents from 2010 to 2015. Child Obes. 2018 Apr; 2018 Apr 5. PMID: 29620919
- Kocher EL, Sternberg Lamb JM, McGarvey ST, Faiai M, Muasau-Howard BT, Hawley NL: Conceptions of pregnancy health and motivations for healthful behavior change among women in American Samoa. Women Birth. 2018 Feb; 2017 Jun 26. PMID: 28662836
- Tripathi RR, Rifas-Shiman SL, Hawley N, Hivert MF, Oken E: Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy and Offspring Cardiometabolic Health at Midchildhood: Project Viva Findings. J Am Heart Assoc. 2018 Jan 30; 2018 Jan 30. PMID: 29382664
- Ojo TT, Hawley NL, Desai MM, Akiteng AR, Guwatudde D, Schwartz JI: Exploring knowledge and attitudes toward non-communicable diseases among village health teams in Eastern Uganda: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2017 Dec 12; 2017 Dec 12. PMID: 29233114
- Adeyinka O, Jukic AM, McGarvey ST, Muasau-Howard BT, Faiai M, Hawley NL: Predictors of prenatal care satisfaction among pregnant women in American Samoa. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017 Nov 16; 2017 Nov 16. PMID: 29145810
- McElfish PA, Narcisse MR, Long CR, Ayers BL, Hawley NL, Aitaoto N, Riklon S, Su LJ, Ima SZ, Wilmoth RO, Schulz TK, Kadlubar S: Leveraging community-based participatory research capacity to recruit Pacific Islanders into a genetics study. J Community Genet. 2017 Oct; 2017 Jul 8. PMID: 28689351
- Kollannoor-Samuel G, Shebl FM, Hawley NL, Pérez-Escamilla R: Nutrition label use is associated with lower longer-term diabetes risk in US adults. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017 May; 2017 Mar 29. PMID: 28356273
- Choy CC, Desai MM, Park JJ, Frame EA, Thompson AA, Naseri T, Reupena MS, Duckham RL, Deziel NC, Hawley NL: Child, maternal and household-level correlates of nutritional status: a cross-sectional study among young Samoan children. Public Health Nutr. 2017 May; 2017 Feb 6. PMID: 28162141
- Romano ME, Hawley NL, Eliot M, Calafat AM, Jayatilaka NK, Kelsey K, McGarvey S, Phipps MG, Savitz DA, Werner EF, Braun JM: Variability and predictors of urinary concentrations of organophosphate flame retardant metabolites among pregnant women in Rhode Island. Environ Health. 2017 Apr 11; 2017 Apr 11. PMID: 28399857
- Wang D, Hawley NL, Thompson AA, Lameko V, Reupena MS, McGarvey ST, Baylin A: Dietary Patterns Are Associated with Metabolic Outcomes among Adult Samoans in a Cross-Sectional Study. J Nutr. 2017 Apr; 2017 Feb 15. PMID: 28202634
- Kollannoor-Samuel G, Shebl FM, Hawley NL, Pérez-Escamilla R: Nutrition facts panel use is associated with higher diet quality and lower glycated hemoglobin concentrations in US adults with undiagnosed prediabetes. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016 Dec; 2016 Oct 26. PMID: 27797707
- Hart CN, Hawley NL, Wing RR: Development of a Behavioral Sleep Intervention as a Novel Approach for Pediatric Obesity in School-aged Children. Sleep Med Clin. 2016 Dec; 2016 Oct 27. PMID: 28118874
- Minster RL, Hawley NL, Su CT, Sun G, Kershaw EE, Cheng H, Buhule OD, Lin J, Reupena MS, Viali S, Tuitele J, Naseri T, Urban Z, Deka R, Weeks DE, McGarvey ST: A thrifty variant in CREBRF strongly influences body mass index in Samoans. Nat Genet. 2016 Sep; 2016 Jul 25. PMID: 27455349
- Maredia H, Lambert-Messerlian GM, Palomaki GE, Viali S, Hawley NL, McGarvey ST: Cut-off levels for hyperandrogenemia among Samoan women: An improved methodology for deriving normative data in an obese population. Clin Biochem. 2016 Jul; 2016 Feb 18. PMID: 26908216
- Hart CN, Hawley NL, Wing RR: Development of a Behavioral Sleep Intervention as a Novel Approach for Pediatric Obesity in School-aged Children. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2016 Jun. PMID: 27261547
- Hawley NL, Rosen RK, Strait EA, Raffucci G, Holmdahl I, Freeman JR, Muasau-Howard BT, McGarvey ST: Mothers’ attitudes and beliefs about infant feeding highlight barriers to exclusive breastfeeding in American Samoa.Women Birth. 2015 Sep; 2015 Apr 29. PMID: 25935567
- Hawley NL, McGarvey ST: Obesity and diabetes in Pacific Islanders: the current burden and the need for urgent action. Curr Diab Rep. 2015 May. PMID: 25809458
- Huang YT, Maccani JZJ, Hawley NL, Wing RR, Kelsey KT, McCaffery JM: Epigenetic patterns in successful weight loss maintainers: a pilot study. Int J Obes (Lond). 2015 May; 2014 Dec 18. PMID: 25520250
- Hawley NL, Johnson W, Hart CN, Triche EW, Ah Ching J, Muasau-Howard B, McGarvey ST: Gestational weight gain among American Samoan women and its impact on delivery and infant outcomes. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015 Feb 3; 2015 Feb 3. PMID: 25643752
- Cole TJ, Rousham EK, Hawley NL, Cameron N, Norris SA, Pettifor JM: Ethnic and sex differences in skeletal maturation among the Birth to Twenty cohort in South Africa. Arch Dis Child. 2015 Feb; 2014 Nov 19. PMID: 25409981
- Buhule OD, Minster RL, Hawley NL, Medvedovic M, Sun G, Viali S, Deka R, McGarvey ST, Weeks DE: Stratified randomization controls better for batch effects in 450K methylation analysis: a cautionary tale. Front Genet. 2014; 2014 Oct 13. PMID: 25352862